Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

Love Grows

As I sit here approaching my 30th birthday I find myself reflecting over my life, a little bit.  You see the man I have married has been my love for over half my life already.  But that is not what I reflected on today.

Today I was left thinking about how some people never experience a love that grows.  I guess I am lucky to have seen both sets of my grandparents be madly in love with each other for many years.  So my young self just figured that as you grow with someone you just keep falling in love with them all over again.

I will never forget being a newly wed and attending college in San Diego.  I was taking an accelerated Sociology course on the base at night.  There was a young sailor (ha I was 19 and I am sure he was in his 20's) who had just signed his divorce papers.  As class mates do, we had chatted, and he told me his sad story about how his first love and him had just divorced.  He even had her rings that he had designed still with him.  I told him that I was a firm believer that when the right love was there it would last forever and keep getting better.  That you just keep falling in love at new stages in your life.  He was quite the gentlemen not to argue with me and simply said I truly hope that is the kind of love you have.

You know what; it is the kind of love I have.  There are key moments that I look back on over the last 15+ years and I know I fell head over heels in love with my husband again, and again.  We have had mountains to climb and have come from low places in our marriage.  But the highs of love and the lasting effect it has had is something that catches up with me here and again.

Our life together has brought adventures across most of the country and back.  Children that are unique, beautiful and always teaching us something new.  Memories I would not trade for the world.  While I know 30 years is quite young still, I feel quite blessed to have had the full life that we have shared.  I can only imagine what the next 15 years will hold for us.

I wish you all a love that grows.

1 comment:

tkenyon1 said...

I completely agree with you here, I think some loves grow better with age. Thanks for sharing