Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Service and love

While attending church today I heard a great sermon on service and love.  1 Corinthians chapter 13.  The whole chapter is a great read and many times just verses 4-7 get looked upon as advice for your marriage. 

Today the pastor talked about how the chapter is about giving for love.  Not giving or being of service to get something out of it but simply because you love the person, the job, the purpose.  What ever the reason is  you are there to better something or someone, not yourself.  It was a great perspective to think about.

Too often I have seen people volunteer their time and the only reason seems to be because they want recognition.  I rarely see a person volunteer just because they love helping or want to make something better.  While I am sure it is true that we all get good feelings for volunteering it should not be the reason we do it.

I am guilty of wanting to run when a job gets too hard.  When I feel like that is all that I can handle I want to quit being of service.  It was nice to hear that maybe when I volunteered for those things I was not doing so out of love.  I hope to get the chance to look at those things more closely and re-examine why I am volunteering myself.  What do I get from it and want from it?  I hope to have the chance to do it out of love next time around.

1 comment:

Melinda said...

Hey! Was that at SCC? Because I head that sermon there. :)