Pages

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Hostessing

This is something that was never taught to me first hand.  It is something I learned slowly on visits to my Grandparent's house during school break.  But I remember my Grandma would always smile when people walked into their home.  Most anyone who has ever been to their house has felt instantly welcomed.  It was a feeling I did not know much about growing up but, I wanted my home to be just like that.

As parents we wonder what we are really teaching our children?  Are they picking up the important things like please and thank you?  Will they be kind to others because they should be?  Sometimes it feels like we will just need to wonder for a while.

Yesterday our friend, who also teaches my oldest piano, came down to do a lesson.  My oldest daughter went straight to the kitchen while my friend and I chatted about our new home.  I did not think much about this.  But not too much longer out she came beaming from ear to ear with a cup of coffee for our friend.  In that moment I got to see that she is learning.

She has been paying attention to the small details of a person and what makes them who they are.  What they like and enjoy.  And for her to be able to prepare a cup of coffee for someone and give it was quite something in my eyes. 

Thanks for the wisdom over the years Grandma and Grandpa I am starting to see it pass on to your legacy.

No comments: