Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Keeping them young

I am not ready for my children to face certain evils in our world.  I do not think they need to know about every shooting incident, every kidnapping or how corrupt businesses and governments are.  I do not feel they are old enough to be exposed to the topics of abortion, sexuality or many other subjects that are common place in politics.

My oldest still plays with dolls and not because little sister asks her too.  They still get dirty, build forts, pretend my furniture is something else, get lost in stories and lots of other great things children do.  I treasure those moments because I know in a blink they will be gone.

Sadly their friends sometimes discuss topics our home has sheltered our children from.  We then have to try to explain and answer questions that our young ones should not be learning about yet.  These are heavy adult conversations and choices.  When children are given so much information at a young age we can no longer truly consider them young children.  It steals their childhood and innocence.  I do not believe any adult or other child has the right to steal innocence from children.  That does not mean they are uneducated, or have no idea how the world works.  I have heard them make many educated statements about the government or elections, rights and wrongs of the world and more.

They only get to be children for a few short years.  Let's slow down and let them be little while it is ok for them to be little.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

I loved this post and completely agree. There is a lot of talk about letting kids be kids, but how can they do that when they are weighed down with the adult things of the world. Protecting our children's innocence is important. Just like we protect their bodies, we need to protect their minds. Not forever, but giving them age appropriate access to information. I don't need to even know about everything in detail. No use stirring up fear. A realistic "don't run into the street" or stay with me is important, but not to the extent that will cause them undue strife.

Unknown said...

I already miss their early carefree days.