Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

I get it now...

Wow, we are well into our second year of homeschooling. I can say that I have learned a lot. First I have learned that I can homeschool my children. There is no magic button that made other people more able to do it. They just chose to do it and so it was done. I do that everyday in other areas of my life already, now we do it with school too.








There are a lot of cirriculums out there and you should look into everything that interests you. But do not doubt yourself. If something is not working change it. If you chose to go a certain route, then hold onto your beliefs and give your children what you wanted them to have from it.







Homeschooling is all about the kids. Find out when they learn best and use that time of day to your advantage. When they are in their learning zone they will do more work then when they are not, and you will both have fun.







Include the family. My favorite lessons are the ones we can all do together. Those tend to be science, art, history or a field trip. Getting to see each one learn and what they take from the lesson is very special. It also let’s me see what kind of things they focus in on so I can help them learn better down the road. Another plus is that they also compete to see who gave the most correct answers when we go back over the lessons in review.







Children are ready for a lot more then we give the credit for. Studying ancient history is something I never would have thought of doing if we were not using the cirriculum we are using. But my all my kids get it. They can all answer questions from the same story at their own age levels.







Homeschooling is not easy. You have to be determined and flexible at the same time. If it is not your child’s first type of schooling you also have to battler their preconceived notions of what school should be. If you give it your best you will see a lot of rewards from it as you go.

No comments: