Pages

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Why We Homeschool

Why do we home school? That is a question that I have asked myself and have been asked by others. In the beginning it was about wanting something better. I wanted an education for my children that could not be interupted or changed because of our relocating for the military.




I used to think I could just supplement what they were missing. In other words I was sending my kids to school so that they could come home and do more school. Does not make sense to me either. So after a slightly frustrating year of first grade for my oldest child I had a lot to think about. We ended the year with me thinking second grade will be better. I am going to sit down and lay out for the teacher what I expect as feed back and what I expect of my child everyday. That will do it.



That thought lasted until the middle of July. I was sitting online and thinking about all the people I knew who home schooled. Many for religious reasons, a couple for learning disabilities and another friend because they knew their child was ready, even if the state said they were too young. So I sat at my computer and began my research.





I did not find the answers I wanted at first. I mostly found good cirriculums that I would not be comfortable just buying. I am a very get my hands dirty and let me see all the details kind of person. I have to know exactly what I am getting into. As I was losing hope and was just going to keep hoping that second grade would be better I found it.



A program called K-12. Well it has all the grades at least. I clicked on the link and was blown away. It was already after 11pm and here I was watching testimonies of families, even military families. And getting to check out example lessons for every grade and every subject. I was even learning new things and having fun doing it. Best of all this school was online, required hand written and hand done projects and because of where I live everything was free. They would send it all to me and supply me with a teacher, field trips, online classes, and almost all the school supplies, FREE!!. I had to hear more.



I kept looking into it and had my daughter try out the sample lessons. She liked them and learned from them. So I began e-mailing my deployed husband. He liked them too and agreed that we should give it a try. So we did. And this is how it all began, because I knew we needed something better.



What I did not expect was that we were going to get so much more then what we looking for. We got more time with our kids. More time to go on really cool field trips and explore our new state. The ability to go on vacation when the Navy finally let us have leave (in September no less), my youngest children enjoying doing the same experiments and projects as big sister.



The first year was not easy. And I have conisdered if they are missing out or if I am crazy; and I might be a little bit. But overall we really enjoy not having to run on a regular schedule. We are a Navy family and for us there is no 9am to 5pm life. So now there is no longer a 9 am to 3 pm school routine. We school when are ready and explore when are ready. And then, we pack up and move when the Navy is ready.





Till next time…

No comments: