Pages

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Racing to the finish line

Every family that home educates has to decide what types of breaks work for them.  For us we enjoy taking summer mostly off.  My kids will beg to play math games on sites like www.coolmathgames.com and www.khanacademy.com almost daily.  Plus we are usually busy exploring local history and learning about the great places near by.  So we do not see a learning gap typically when we start our school year in September.

Our family also does not take much time off during our school year; which runs from Labor Day to Memorial Day approximately.  We take off days from our curriculum to do field trips and take off days to have fun with Dad when he is not working.  But over all we school for those 9 months.

So here we sit, two children are done for the year.  My oldest is steadily plugging away at her last lessons of the years.  A daunting task in 6th grade but not overwhelming.  We both the feel want to just be done and yet we both know that we have to be a team and just plug away.  The finish line to ending her curriculum is with in reach and we are striving to get there.

One thing we did to make the end all about her needs or wants is let her do subjects in any order.  This meant that since the beginning of May if she wanted to she could work on one subject at a time until each reached 100%.  I only do this at the end of the school year with my kids.  The rest of the school year we break their subjects into monthly goals to obtain in each area, keeps them well rounded, I think.

21 history lessons, 8 Literature lessons and a handful of math lessons.  Feels like a lot but we know she is super close and more importantly capable.  And truth be known as hard as we will try to finish by this weeks end, if we go over a smidgen it will not hurt our summer of fun either.

2 comments:

Melinda said...

It sounds like you have a good system. I know Roni's kids always finished at different times. I have specific learning goals for each of my children through the summer, but we do it in a more laid back style.

P.S. It's good to read your blogs again. I hope you keep them up! I like seeing what's going on in your life.

Unknown said...

Thanks. I have learned each kiddo is just so different. But also the older they get the more work there is. Just a fact of life.

I am hoping to use this summer break I am beginning to be train myself to be consistent with blogging. Even if I do not post a blog I have been checking my blogs every day since that first one I posted a few days ago.

Also I have seen I was missing so much of other blogs I enjoy, like yours and so it is nice to be current on those again. :)